Saturday, October 03, 2009

so a frenchman and a russian walk into tent on a raft...


On June 25, 1807, Tsar Alexander I travelled to Tilsit on the western border of the Russian empire to discuss peace with the Emperor of France, Emporer Napoleon I. To signify their equal status, they met on a raft moored precisely in the center of the Niemen River — the boundary between Russia and Europe.

So how did these two incredibly powerful emporers find common ground and agree to end the bloodshed that had killed hundreds of thousands of men?

When the Tsar met Napoleon he had one goal in mind: to find a peaceful solution that would benefit him. And the first thing he said to Napoleon in French was... "Sir, I hate the English as much as you do." And Napoleon said, "So we have made peace."

By mutual loathing of the English of course...

No comments: